Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thing 17-Ning

I visited TeacherLibrarianNing and took a good look around.  I really liked the fact that this site had Twitter Feeds, blog posts, Scoop Its, feeds from journals, all in one place!  There were video links, and as well as Wiki links.  The one highlighted was Elementary Library Routines. This is all just on the main home page.  There are nine other tabs including one for previously posted videos (all 331 of them).  There is a tab called My Page if I were to join it.  I could customize to what I wanted. I can see all the members listed under the members tab; there are over 7,000.  I am not surprised since Joyce Valenza is the creator.  I also notice that there are other groups within this site that are even more specific.  I saw one for Information Fluency, and one to discuss Harry Potter as well as one for Inquiry Circles.  There are over 60 specific groups to join to tailor it to your interests or needs.

I also visited http://www.educatorstechnology.com/2012/06/12-best-ning-groups-for-teachers-to.html to learn about more Nings.  A few of these 12 were not "found" but most were.  Some of these were, Classroom 2.0, ISTE community, and Technology Integration in Education. 

I think that a Ning would be ideal when I become a librarian.  It would be great to have this social network for my school.  On it, could be the latest library news, book trailers, tweets, blog posts, and links to technology integration websites.  If all of these things are at a teacher's fingertips, they will be effortlessly exposed to much more information than if left to finding it on their own.  There could also be a chat tab for topics of interest or concern.  It seems very easy to set up and could be very user friendly.  

No comments:

Post a Comment