Saturday, November 9, 2013

Thing 16-Video Sharing

I thought I'd begin with my embedded video of the most beautiful libraries in the U.S.  Enjoy!

Of course, most people have seen YouTube videos at some point.  Links are usually sent out because they are funny or simply amazing.  There is much to be entertained by on YouTube and that alone is wonderful.  However, there are so many other reasons to visit YouTube.  You can learn so much.  I learned how to stain concrete floors.  (I am thinking of doing this in one of my closets as a first try experiment.)  I even learned how to ride a horse from some middle school girls who posted this as a project.  You can also get recipes, design ideas and fashion tips there.   I have used it for recipes and it is fun to be able to watch and do and pause as needed.

On Teacher Tube, I found that you can be very specific in your video search.  Who knew that you could find videos not only on broad topics such as Living and Non-Living Things but also on specific animals like Mako Sharks or Chickens.  There are even experiment videos.  I have not used TeacherTube much except at home.  In my district, YouTube and Teacher Tube are blocked. Right now, we only have access to Discovery Learning (United Streaming), Pebble Go, and a couple of other sites for information.  All teachers will have to either complete all the NETS tasks or perform a series of tasks in order to receive permission to use YouTube.  This must be done by December 6 so next semester, I will have access!!

I am excited for this new avenue to open up at school.  It will not only be passive watching but interactive with experiments, discussions and response work.  Students will have the opportunity to learn from yet another resource and isn't this the point of information?

No comments:

Post a Comment